|Fresh Garden Vegs & Nice Spice|
Chicken Sausage Soup
By Alison Rolen
This soup was created to be a low-carb soup for myself. Everyone in the family liked it, so it has become a family favorite. All ingredients are fresh, has a nice spice to it, and makes a beautiful presentation, especially when garnished with fresh, shredded Parmesan. Just as good the following day(s). To make gluten-free, check sausage and broth labels.
1 lb bulk sausage – Jimmy Dean has good flavor and acceptable fat
4 cloves garlic – minced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
¼+ tsp cayenne red pepper
1 large Vidalia or sweet onion – diced
1 c. diced sweet red/orange pepper**
3 stalks celery – diced
1 c. sliced carrots
2 c. shredded and chopped cabbage
2 – 14.5oz cans diced tomatoes (or 1 quart home-canned tomatoes)
1 - 32oz box chicken broth (or 1 quart home-made stock)
If you have any reserved juice/stock from cooking chicken, add that as well
4 c. pre-cooked, cubed chicken – I use mostly, or exclusively, dark meat*
1 bunch green onions – sliced, including greens
¼ c. chopped fresh Italian parsley
Additional salt and pepper to taste
In large stockpot:
- Add minced garlic to pot. Add and Brown the sausage, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Drain off only excessive grease (some is needed to cook veggies). Add spices to top of sausage: cumin, paprika, red pepper. Stir, coating sausage well.
- Add in: onion, celery, carrots, cabbage – stir to incorporate seasonings over all, cover and cook about 10 minutes to begin to soften the vegetables.
- Add in: all chicken broth, tomatoes including juice, any/all reserved juice from cooking chicken, add some water if more liquid is needed.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook until raw vegetables are desired softness – about 1 hr. total.
- Add in cubed chicken and green onions. Simmer (do not boil) about 10 minutes to heat chicken through.
- Taste broth and adjust red pepper, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add in chopped parsley, simmer for 5 minutes more, serve.
Garnish: fresh shredded Parmesan cheese to top bowl
Variation: I have also added in greens (kale, chard, or spinach) - raw with vegetables, or with chicken if pre-cooked (unseasoned)
*I bake 2 chickens, serve for dinner 1st night, then remaining white meat goes to chicken salad, dark meat here.
**Sweet garden peppers are chopped and frozen in 1c portions ready to drop in this soup